sábado, 21 de marzo de 2015

First entry (second period)

DESCRIBE

In my first teaching practice, I was a little bit nervous because I had to teach to adults; people that are doctors, licenciados etc. So it was kind of weird teaching to this kind of people; however, I felt it was really good to work with adults since discipline is not the main problem into the classroom even though there were two or three persons to whom I always had to get their attention but not at the same way we do with children. You have to pay attention to words you use to do it. It is difficult but it is just a matter of getting accustomed to deal with them. Moreover, thanks God it was an easy topic; I had to teach “simple present”; nonetheless, it was kind of hard to find activities in which you cannot run, compete or do like activities in which they had to do some physical job because they are adults. They are serious and do not want to play in class. So I think that was the hardest work to do.
ANALYZE
PLAN ACTION
INTERPRET
GENERALIZE
In this class, I realized my Ss were willing to work in pairs and speak. They were not afraid of making mistakes when speaking. Even if they did not know the words they invented them. So that was an advantage in some activities. Adults like to work in pairs and compare their answers; they really helped each other. Also my Ss ask a lot of questions, and they want to know the reason for everything so I have to be prepare for any kind of questions they could ask.
Based on this class, I realized that it is necessary to be prepared with many activities since they work quickly, but also it is good to see how to take advantage of the time because you cannot waste time with them. Besides that, I could notice that I cannot give them too much information because they take more time than children to get it. I have to go slow and clear; and something very important is to be patient with them.










For next class, I plan to make activities in which they can work in pairs. Also I plan to find a way to explain grammar in the easiest way as possible in order to give them the information needed to speak. I do not have to overwhelm Ss with too much information and also it is necessary to give examples and how to use every rule or step to use the tense that is been taught.  

4 comentarios:

  1. I think that one of the most interesting and admirable of teaching adults is that they are not affraid of commiting mistakes because they are there strictly to learn, unlike teenagers who don't like to participate because they're affraid that if they commit a mistake their classmates will laugh. Patience is also a key point and the fact that with adults, and also the way of correcting is easier, instead of calling their attention over and over like a child, they understand with the first call of attention. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. yeah you mare totally right, thank you for your comment! :)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi, Karla. I admire the job you've done since working with adults is another big challenge that any practitioner might have troubles with. Furthermore, it's highly great that you recognized that you don't have to treat adults like children because they may feel strange in the classroom and, therefore, their interaction and engagement in the activities will not fulfill neither your goal nor their needs. Actually, in my job, I teach adults and, as you stated, they do really enjoy working in pairs or in groups because they compare answers and learn from each other.
    Way to go, Karla! I hope you continue doing a better job in your incoming teaching practices. XD :D :3

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. thank you Felipe, I really appreciate your comments. And well, I´ll keep working to better my job. Thanks!

      Eliminar